Historic Fort Reno
Fort Reno was established in 1874 as a military camp. It was established as a military post in 1875 and construction of permanent buildings began in 1876.
The Fort and Darlington Agency served the Cheyenne and Arapaho Indians across the Canadian River. Together it preserved the peace and directed the orderly transition of this part of Indian Territory from reservation to individual farms and ranches. Troops from Fort Reno supervised the first Great Land Run of 1889 that opened the Unassigned lands for settlement.
The Fort also served as one of two remount depots from 1908 through 1947 when the lands were transferred to the United States Department of Agriculture for an agricultural research station.
In 1997 the USDA agreed to the establishment of the Fort Reno Visitor Center as a non-profit entity to provide historical information to the public and coordinate fundraising efforts to preserve and rehabilitate the historic structures at Fort Reno.
Six black regiments, two of cavalry and four of infantry, were authorized by Congress in 1866. The descriptive name given by the Indians to the black regiments described the color and texture of hair between the horns of the buffalo. The Buffalo Soldiers had the reputation for effective and consistent fighting against the lawless whites, Mexicans and Indians.
Companies of the 9th and 10th U.S. Cavalry were stationed at Fort Reno. Some of the Buffalo Soldiers who died while stationed there were interred at the historic Fort Reno Post Cemetery. Along with the white troops stationed at Fort Reno, the Buffalo Soldiers played an important role in ejecting Boomers from Indian Territory and preventing Sooners from entering the territory and preventing Sooners from entering the territory prior to the land rush.